The new semester has officially started! (That is so crazy to say!) They do not mess around when they say that college flies by. After this semester is complete, I will be halfway through college and it is one step closer to (hopefully) being accepted into medical school!
This semester is going to be, yet again, VERY busy! As of right now, I am taking 19 (oh no) credit hours and I may add an additional hour of research. I am for sure doing the research, but to whether I am taking it for credit or not, I do not know.
I will also continue to be a student athletic trainer for the football team this semester! It will be my last with the football team, which makes me really sad!! I do not want to leave them! I should be finding out my new sport assignment around February! This semester they do all their workouts/practices in the morning, which will entail early mornings. Probably arriving around 5am. Most days I will be there until around 11:30 when I have to get to class for 12, whilst one day I will stay until 1pm as I have no classes. This means that all of my classes are scheduled after 12pm. (Which was technically supposed to be 1pm, but that just wasn’t possible. I was unable to take some of the classes I wanted to because of this.)
So what classes am I taking this semester?
- Organic Chemistry II- I am so NOT looking forward to this class. Organic Chemistry I was miserable, so I can only imagine how the second one is going to go down. I am going to go in to it with a positive attitude and work my tail off though!
- Organic Chemistry II Lab- Not much to say about this one 😉 . Hopefully some fun experiments are in store!
- Human Nutrition and Wellness- This is a 3 credit hour class online. It is one of the pre-reqs for the certificate I am planning on getting. I do not see this one being a hassle to complete!
- Ethics in Healthcare- This class focuses on moral reasoning and ethical theories in medicine. We will look into the code of ethics and the obligations health professionals have to patients, colleagues, employing institutions and the community. I am excited for this class, as we will be doing case studies and analyzing situations!
- Interdisciplinary Health Advocacy- This class is going to be interesting. We will be working with patients who are seeing out health resources, health services, and health information. We will become health navigators and will work with the community to develop and maintain a health resource data base and will help patients as they try to attain a healthy lifestyle. I have no idea what this class will have in store, but I am excited!
- Health Law- Now this is the class I added last minute, as it is not required for my major, but is required for my minor (assuming I go ahead with this minor). This is an introduction class to tort law that is applicable in health care covering governance, patient rights, informed consent, medical/moral problems, malpractice, tax laws, contracts, labor law, regulation and institutional liability. All sound very interesting to learn about!
- Health Service Administration- This class will meet one day a week and the other day we will have online work. I love classes like this, as it provides a group setting, but also an independent work setting! This class focuses on the theories and practices of administration in health care.
- Health Information Management- Lastly, this class will be fully online and starts in the middle of March. (Weird, I know!) This class overviews the challenges that were associated with the health care change and improvement of the Recovery Act of 2009. We will focus on the implementation of Electronic Medical Records and learn how to successfully implement these into our medical practice. I must admit, I am super excited to learn about the electronic medical records after working with them for a while now!
I hope that everyone’s spring semester goes well! What are you taking this semester? I would love to know!